March 31, 2014

Is Polypharmacy In Your Future?

What is polypharmacy? There are several definitions so this is not always the best term to use.
  1. The use of two or more drugs together, usually to treat a single condition or disease.
  1. The use of a number of different drugs, possibly prescribed by different doctors and filled in different pharmacies, by a patient who may have one or several health problems.
  1. The administration of many drugs at the same time.
Don't forget that the term drugs also includes herbal remedies, vitamins, minerals, and other supplements. Often they are referred to as dietary supplements, but they are still drugs. 
 
Normally this is a concern of the elderly. However, last Friday, I was in the house of a friend as he was sitting down for the evening meal. His wife was at the side table with her back to us. I could not be sure what she was doing until she seated herself at the table. She had one container for herself and a slightly larger one for her husband, each containing many pills.

Both are in their early 40's and I thought to myself, they are too young to be taking this many medications. Sure, I take 9 pills at breakfast and the same at bedtime and then insulin injections of two types. However, I am about 30 years their senior.

After they had finished eating, he and I headed for his workshop. Once there, I asked how many pills he took in a day. He said they were not all medications and that only eight were prescription. He said the rest are dietary supplements. I asked if any of them were prescribed and he said only one – vitamin D.

I helped him figure out the woodworking project he was making and gave him alternatives for making it stronger. We continued talking until he was satisfied and drawing different diagrams for the needed joinery. Then we went inside to his computer where I showed him where I had gotten my ideas and he looked at the explanations for several and bookmarked the page.

Next, I asked if he would read something that I had written about vitamin D. He moved over so I could access the keyboard and mouse. First, I brought up this blog and after he had read it, he called his wife and asked her to read it. Her first question was why the doctor needed to prescribe it if there was something less expensive. She went to the cabinet and brought the bottle over. She said this is definitely D2.

Now she wanted more information and went to her computer. I brought up the blog for her and when she went to the bottom and clicked on the University of Oregon link, she asked where to go. I told her to click on vitamins and she said they have something on all of these. More of a question, but she went to one other and was reading that. She bookmarked that and went to back to find the minerals. Then she asked her husband if he has been tested for selenium and he said no.

Now she said they had better do some reading and check out the rest that they were taking. I suggested that they also read the problems or cautions for use with prescriptions. She said that was what she was concerned about. She asked if I had any other suggestions and I gave her this blog, which she quickly bookmarked.

Then she asked for my email address saying she would probably have more questions. She sent me an email with her and her husband's email so that I would have them. Then she took time to read some of the other information on my blog page and asked if that was why I blogged. I admitted that because of diabetes and felt that it was important to pass on information to others.

Then I was shocked when she said she had just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes the day before. I asked her if she had gestational diabetes with their two children and she said only the second one. She continued that the doctor had not believed her plasma blood glucose level and did an A1c and even then would not say she had diabetes. Next, she went through the oral glucose tolerance test. After two hours of that, the doctor finally said she had type 2 diabetes.

The husband said it was getting late and his wife had some errands to take care of the next day. He asked if I could come back after I took my wife to work. He said they needed to learn more about using the computer. As it was, they mostly used it for video and chatting with family and the children at college. I agreed and said goodbye.

No comments: