December 6, 2013

Suggestions for Different Diabetes Logs - P2


Part 2 of 3 parts

This is a take-off from a blog by Kate Cornell. She covers the way she likes to log her blood glucose. I like her way, but I do mine differently and I thought a comparison could be beneficial or give you ideas for your own log. I transfer any written logs to a spreadsheet. Some of my friends in the diabetes support group use a database.

In this part, I will cover blood glucose logs – oral medications or insulin in my case. For my blood glucose readings, I maintain a written log, which I then transfer to the spreadsheet on page two of the spreadsheet. Some information does go to page three. Occasionally I make a note that belongs on another page. This is because my written notes include most of the activity for each day. I use a spiral top steno notebook. On the each page, I write three dates across the top. Then on the left side on the next line I write AM and the on the next line PM. Since I split my Lantus injections, under each date I write the time and units of Lantus. If you get the full 24-hours effectiveness from your long acting insulin, then you will only need one line and the time and units under each date.

My blood glucose reading spreadsheet is set up for each day of the month with the same format at the top. On both the written and spreadsheet, I list the time of the test and the meter reading and for those that are premeal or pre-prandial I record the correction and the carb portion of the injection. Like Kate, I had long ago done my intensive testing to find out what my average time is post meal or post-prandial when the peak blood glucose time is. It was about 90 minutes in the beginning, but when I increased the amount of fat in my meals, I needed to repeat the intensive testing to discover that it was about the two hours after my meals. Further intensive testing made it about 135 minutes after first bite of the meal.

Then about three years ago, I was surprised again when I reduced the eating time and enjoyed my food at a slower eating time. My blood glucose peak post-prandial remained almost within five points from 120 minutes to 160 minutes. Now I have needed to do more intensive testing because of the food changes I was required because of GERD and gall bladder surgery. It seems that I will be back at about 100 minutes to 130 minutes.

I also record the time of first bite to know when I started eating. Some people do use last bite for determining post-prandial testing. Both ways work, and I advise just being consistent.

On the back of my blood glucose readings page, I write the food eaten and carb information. Occasionally, this includes health information. With all the medical procedures lately, this has been valuable to me. I have also adapted or co-opted the pain scale used by my doctors to indicate this on my written notes and I indicate the time. With the medical procedures and neuropathy, this has been helpful in tracking pain levels and has also helped in blood glucose level problems. I don't, but I am aware of several people that use a stress scale as well.

No comments: