December 5, 2015

ADA Begging for Diabetes Money

The American Diabetes Association is begging people to write their federal congressional members and urge them to pass an appropriations bill that increases funds for type 1 and type 2 diabetes research and programs. Most of the money would be for the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. How much of this trickles down to the ADA is unknown, but many programs are operated by the ADA with funds from these agencies.

I have already blogged about my non-support and need to make more people aware of how poorly the ADA handles any funds they get their hands on. I quote from a prior money request, “The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight against the deadly consequences of diabetes and fighting for those affected by diabetes. An impressive 72% of every dollar spent supports research, advocacy, information and public awareness for people affected by diabetes.”

I do not agree the 72% of every dollar spent supports research is impressive. The fact that the other 28% goes to administrative expenses shows how the ADA is more concerned about their own wages than actual research. Less than 15% is more reasonable for admin expenses and if the ADA requires 28%, then either ADA is top heavy with administrators or overpaying the administrators.

I am corresponding with my two senators and representative and from their comments, I doubt any diabetes bills will see action in 2015. I am urging all three to make it impossible for any research moneys to be used for anything but research and if possible cannot be used for administrative expenses.

Whenever the ADA begs individuals to work for them, then I get suspicious and look for red flags that tell me that they need money over and above what they receive from their Big Pharma partners. Also, why should I contribute money to an organization that is for doctors and spends 28% of every dollar for administrative expenses. I would and do contribute to one charitable diabetes organization that only uses 8 cents of every dollar for administrative expenses. They contribute diabetes supplies to people with diabetes that desperately need diabetes supplies.

No comments: