May 22, 2015

Are Large Breakfasts Better?

I know that many people with diabetes pass on breakfast. Even some of my friends just have a snack. Now these two articles don't give me hope. The first article is from Medscape and says a large breakfast and small dinner are tied to better diabetes control. The second article appeared in ScienceDaily (reported from the Missouri Education research press release) and says prevent type 2 diabetes blood-sugar spikes by eating more protein for breakfast. Both studies appear to be junk science at best.

It is sad that the first study is so small, only 18 people, eight men and ten women, ages 30 to 70. The 18 people were being treated with either metformin and dietary advice or diet advice alone. This also begs the question if some might not have diabetes. The study period was also only six days and then two weeks later another six days on a different diet. At least the study leader wants longer studies to see if the benefits would continue over time. This means that the study has little value.

The second study says even less. It does not discuss the length of the study or give the number of people involved in the study. This leaves only one thing in common, the promotion of protein for breakfast and the statement that this helps blood glucose management later in the day.

The only reason I am writing about this is because I eat a high protein breakfast and have since I was a child. My mother saw to that. She always prepared two or three eggs of various preparations and homemade sausage or other pork product. Add to that hash browns, or fried potatoes (American). There were never a large quantity of potatoes except when I was a teenager and doing lots of chores on the farm before going to school.

Yet, this does not affect my blood glucose level after evening meal. The fewer carbs I eat for the evening meal is the only factor that I can say helps my blood glucose level. Granted, I use insulin and this may be why I have not had the results claimed in either of these two studies.

This is why each person must find their own food plan and make it their own. Studies like this should be considered, but they should never become an end-all. Your blood glucose meter should be your guide and eating to your meter to maintain your blood glucose levels is my suggestion.

No comments: