December 26, 2014

Updated Insulin Information and List

This will be a short blog, but important for anyone with type 2 diabetes considering insulin or already using insulin. It is important for people with type 1 diabetes.

A 27-page printable PDF includes Ultra Rapid-Acting, Rapid-Acting, Short-Acting, Intermediate-Acting, Long-Acting, and Pre-Mixed or Combination Insulins. Detailed information on these insulins includes: Indications, Pharmacology, Dosage and Administration, Adverse Effects, and Precautions and Contraindications. These discussions are near complete with many precautions and contraindications which many lists do not have.

The listing for Humulin 50/50 which has not been available since 2010 has been deleted.

Since insulin should not be considered the medication of last resort, please take time to download the PDF file and keep it for handy reference.

I recently had a contentious discussion with a doctor that insisted that since I was on insulin that I should change from Novolog (a rapid-acting insulin) to Afrezza (an ultra rapid-acting insulin). I asked how I would know how much insulin I would inhale for the carbohydrates I would be consuming. When he stated through trial and error, I said my health was too important and with my insulin resistance, there was no way I would be a guinea pig for him. I concluded that I liked the diabetes management that I had and would not change. That ended the discussion, but he asked me to consider it as I left.

Use the above link or a two-step link from this link.

No comments: