November 4, 2011

The Type 2 Diabetes Sourcebook

The Type 2 Diabetes Sourcebook by David Drum and Terry Zierenberg, R.N., CDE copyright 2006 is a book I purchased recently. I have just finished reading it and may donate it to my local library if I decide I want to give a very poor book to them. I think not.

When I purchased this book, I was in a rush and while I did look at the table of contents and especially a couple of chapters, I missed something because when reading it, I realized how little valuable information was presented. Many areas are completely lacking in detailed information and explanation of aids for improvements for patients to have tools to guide them. If you are looking for information about ADA norms or AACE norms, this book has them. If you are looking for tools to assist you in managing diabetes to prevent complications, you will need to look elsewhere.

Also lacking was definitive information about why the guidelines are established where they are. Many of the guidelines are presented as fact and no further information of value is given. Since I do not follow the American Diabetes Association guidelines or the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists guidelines, this book was a real disappointment. There were no suggestions of how to accomplish goals for diabetes health to improve on the guidelines.

Very disappointing was the discussion on the tests needed by people with diabetes. Why should people with a diagnosis of diabetes need another oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)? Even this was presented for what normal people achieve and not about making a diagnosis. A discussion of OGTT for diagnosis would have been good.

Then when discussing hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, the authors stated something I find reckless and almost criminal. This statement is “The two immediate problems associated with blood sugar are unusually high and unusually low blood sugar. Although neither is fatal, both are serious.” We know better, as both can be fatal if the patient is not hypoglycemically or hyperglycemically aware of what is happening.

As books about diabetes go, this is one I will not keep in my library, nor is it one I can recommend to anyone. In a real pinch, it might make expensive TP.

No comments: