November 11, 2015

Medical ID Importance

I don't understand people that email me and tell me that medical identification is not necessary or needed. I even had one fellow say that he has not told anyone that he has diabetes, not even his family. I asked what medication he was using and the answer came back that he was not using any medication and managed his diabetes with diet and exercise.

In this instance, I told him that I still recommend that he wear some sort of medical identification on his person. I told him that if he was involved in an auto accident and was unconscious, he could be fed with IVs that had glucose that could cause his blood glucose levels to rise rapidly. If he could not tell the hospital who his doctor is, his treatment could push him into dangers that they might not catch in time and he could die.

Even this did not convince him as he said he wanted to keep it a secret that only his doctor and he knew. I emailed him that this is something he should reconsider as accidents do happen. Then six days later, I received another email from the fellow. It turns out that the day I sent the last email, he did have an accident and was unconscious for four hours. When he asked to have his blood glucose checked, the reading was 389. He said the hospital used insulin and rechecked in five hours and he had only decreased to 245. This meant a second shot and another check in five hours. This time the reading was 102 and they did not give him another shot.

At the end, he said he would be getting a medical ID necklace with the needed information to prevent this from happening in the future. He said that the four days in the hospital had shown him how important this could be. He thanked me for pushing on the medical identification. For the present until he would be able to exercise (in about four months), he would be on two insulins, Lantus and Novolog. He asked me if it would be difficult to get off insulin. I responded that if he was determined, he should be able, if too much damage had not been done by the accident.

I suggested that he get back into the habit of exercising slowly until things felt right, watch his blood glucose readings until that happened; talk with his doctor about reducing his doses of insulin when his exercise showed improvement in blood glucose readings, and not get anxious if he needed insulin for a while longer.

He promised that would happen and he asked if he should obtain Dr. Bernstein's book, “Diabetes Solution” and consider a low carb, high fat way of eating. I said that would be a good thing and I sent him several of the URLs from this blog. I did suggest that he take it slow as his injuries could make it difficult for a while and he should not become impatient with his recovery.

His return email stated that he would as his doctor had made this clear to him and he was to be careful the first few months. It sounds like I have made a friend and he is opening up about his diabetes. 

Previous blogs about medical identification:







No comments: