October 6, 2015

More on AADE Activities

This not an easy topic, but I feel very confident that the article written by ANH-USA is on target. Where the problem in the proposed bill starts and needs change is - (a) IN GENERAL. —Section 1861(qq) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395x(qq)) is amended — (1) in paragraph (1), by striking ‘‘by a certified provider (as described in paragraph (2)(A)) in an outpatient setting’’ and inserting ‘‘in an outpatient setting by a certified diabetes educator (as defined in paragraph (3)) or by a certified provider (as described in paragraph (2)(A)).’’

There is more in the bill than the AADE website shows, but at this point I am not allowed to use it. One of my Senators has told me this and he is stating that at this time, the bill is not scheduled for committee and several attempts to bypass committee approval have met with defeat. Both my Senator and the attorney have stated that it is doubtful there will be action this year on H.R. 1726 and S. 1345.

On September 25, I met with an attorney who specializes in Social Security law. He feels that the landscape has changed. I had a printout of the two bills and he read and reread both and asked if I had any other versions available. After his arrival in Washington DC, and a meeting with several Senators and Representatives he called me on Saturday and stated that I could blog about what I knew, but that he could not say more at this time other than what is in the paragraph above.

The attorney did state that the bills currently on file confirm the article published by ANH-USA. If the wording is not changed, what the AADE told Diabetes Mine indicates they are deflecting the truth.

On Monday Oct 5, the attorney called again and stated he does agree that some wording needs to be added to fairly reimburse CDEs for their time on education. He thanked me for sending a copy of my blogs for Oct 3 and 5 and he is upset by the law in Kentucky and the charge of a misdemeanor for violating the law.

I will continue to correspond with both my senators and my representative to urge them to not approve the version currently on file. It is also no surprise that the members of #DiabetesMiseducation Coalition oppose these bills.

Founding members of #DiabetesMiseducation Coalition include:
  • International Association for Health Coaches
  • National Association of Nutrition Professionals
  • Nutrition Therapy Association
  • National Health Freedom Coalition
  • University of Natural Health
  • Maryland University of Integrative Health
  • Alliance for Natural Health USA
  • American School of Natural Health
  • Institute for Transformational Nutrition

These are all organizations that would be excluded under the changes, plus a few more.

This is speculation on my part, but I think that with all the AADE members and officers that have both the CDE and RD (registered dietitian)(dual) titles may be behind this and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is making its presence felt in the actions of the AADE.

I will make my feelings known about the dual titles and that something needs action to specify that if they are acting as CDEs then they need to clearly state this at the beginning of any education and not stray into nutrition as many are doing. I have spoken about this with one of my Senators and she agrees that it should be one and not both and they should only bill Medicare for one topic and not two as some have been accused of doing.

No comments: