November 13, 2011

What is up at Health Central?

There are some excellent diabetes bloggers writing for Health Central, but I do not know whether I am missing something, but with two diseases receiving national attention in the month, Alzheimer's and Diabetes, I would have thought Diabetes Month would have also rated some space. It is just for the number of times I have visited the site recently, I thought I would have seen something on the site about this being Diabetes month or that tomorrow November 14 is World Diabetes Day.

Granted, I have not visited the entire site, but the home page features National Alzheimer's Awareness Month, as does the page for Alzheimer's. When you go to the page for diabetes, nothing is mentioned about Diabetes Month or World Diabetes Day. This seems a little odd considering the bloggers for diabetes. Not only am I disappointed, but I am also wondering about the position of Diabetes Health. I have been skimming the site regularly since the beginning of November, but nothing appears on the pages for Diabetes, and Diabetes and Teens, about Diabetes Month or World Diabetes Day.

The official organizations representing diabetes in the USA may not agree on a symbol to represent diabetes, but they do recognize Diabetes Month and World Diabetes Day.  There are people trying to get the diabetes organizations to accept one symbol and I applaud their efforts. We need unity to give us recognition like breast cancer.

This unity needs to come from the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Association of Diabetes Educators and the JDRF. Presently all are going their separate ways and seem to have little interest in accepting something that the World Diabetes Federation is promoting for the world. Many in the diabetes online community are working to bring this about, but Health Central is not one of them.

No comments: