August 9, 2009

Published Resources

I am writing about my personal experiences. I am a person with Type 2 Diabetes. Any advice that sounds good should be discussed first and always with your doctor.

I was diagnosed in October 2003 while in the hospital with angina problems. The last (now over) seven years have been a learning experience and has not been easy.

The first thing I had to learn and accept was - it was not my fault. The second lesson took a lot longer - I cannot change the past - it is the past and I have to learn to live in the present. Painful, yes, and at times harder than a real job. This requires my attention seven days a week and does not allow for a vacation.

Several books, all in paperback, have influenced and made an impact on my life with diabetes. I would recommend for anyone diagnosed with type 2 diabetes to read them. As with any book written about diabetes, glean what is important to you. If you are like me, you will refer back to something you skimmed earlier when it becomes important to you.

First book: The First Year - Type 2 Diabetes, New York, Marlow & Company, 312 pages, by Gretchen Becker. I discovered this book within a month of diagnosis. It gave me information that I was not receiving from my doctor. Gretchen has type 2 diabetes and she gives the best definitions and reasons for controlling diabetes in non-technical language.  Look for the Second Edition.

Second book: Diabetes Type 2 Complete Food Guide Management Program, New York, Three Rivers Press, 350 pages, by Sherri Shafer. She is a RD, CDE and tackles health issues and food for the person with diabetes. While higher in carbohydrates than suits me, this book came to my rescue when I had my first severe hypoglycemia. It gave me the resources to deal effectively with them. It has been handy for hyperglycemia information as well.

Third book: Myths of a Diabetic Diet, American Diabetes Association, 238 pages, by Chalmers and Peterson. While this book is dated, it is a well written guide for preventing excesses in eating changes. This concept is important for people new to diabetes. Even though there is no diabetic diet in today's understanding of diabetes, this book is still good to read.

Fourth book: Reversing Diabetes, Warner Books, Inc., 435 pages, by Julian Whitaker. This is not a cure book. This is for people with type 2 diabetes who wish to stay off or get off of medications. If you are insulin dependent like me, this may not be for you. It can be valuable for those who are not insulin dependent. I had hopes at one time, but it was not meant to be.

Fifth book: The New Glucose Revolution, New York, Marlow & Company, 349 pages, by Dr. Jenny Brand-Miller, et al. This book is a recent addition to my library and should be on everyone's read list. It gives an excellent explanation of the Glycemic Index and the Glycemic Load values of many foods. It is aimed toward those of us with diabetes, but those wanting to lose weight and be capable of keeping the pounds off will benefit from this book.

All the books are or have been available at Amazon.com.

There are many other books that are available for those of us with diabetes to read. I will review other books when I finish them and know that I will add them to my library or pass them to someone else. The above books will remain part of my library.

No comments: